Skip Navigation

Maryland’s Premier Residential and Commercial Electrician
Also Serving DC, Northern Virginia and Southern Pennsylvania

Schedule an Appointment Today! Generac Authorized Dealer See our Blog! (410) 799-5791
or (301) 384-8880

TriStar Electric is working hard during the COVID -19 crisis to keep our customers and employees healthy and safe.

LEARN MORE

Why Does My Light Switch Keep Shocking Me?

tristar electric light switch

What are the main concerns of light switch shocks?

Have you ever walked into one of your rooms, reached for the light switch, and got shocked by an unexpected static discharge? You might wonder if there is more to know about this “shocking” circumstance than just a spark at your fingers.  Let’s discuss why turning on that light switch bolted at you.

What are the Main Concerns of Static Shocks?

You might have been shocked when you touched your light switch because there is built-up static electricity, faulty light switch, outdated electrical switch, or faulty appliances/electrical devices. While the amount of static discharge received from touching a light switch is not hazardous, it can be painful based on different situations.

You should be concerned about sudden electrical discharges, particularly when it continuously comes from the same fixture. An ongoing electrical discharge can mean faulty wiring or fixtures, and professional electricians need to be contacted to handle an investigation immediately.

Can Static Shock Make You Sick?

A static shock can make your earlobes itch and your hair feel like it’s crawling. Most often, there isn’t sufficient current to produce permanent damage to the human body. The most feared narratives of static electricity have to do with fuel types and the contact between sparks and gasoline. As long as there isn’t any fuel actively available near the offending light switch, it’s unlikely that you will worry about an event like this happening.  

Can You Have a Delayed Reaction to an Electrical Shock?

Although there are mild effects of an electric discharge from your light switch, it’s essential to know that there are rare events that a sudden electrical shock may provoke. Any small or significant damage to the nervous system should be taken seriously, but most persons have a slight chance of danger.  

What Can You Do if You Receive an Unexpected Shock?

If you have constantly received a significant shock from the same fixture, make sure to look into it. Better yet, contact an electrician. It would help if you taped off a potentially damaged wired switch with masking tape to prevent anybody touching the defective surface. If necessary, remember to note any apparent damage or missing parts of the fixture before it’s covered so you can report it to an electrician.

For ALL of Your Residential or Commercial Electrical Needs, Call TriStar Electric!

No matter the job, big or small, the professionals at TriStar Electric will be happy to discuss your project and answer any questions or concerns you may have. We offer free in-home consultations, plus an after-hours and emergency phone line for advice or service!

If you have any questions about our electrical repairs or upgrades, please contact TriStar Electric, Maryland’s premier residential and commercial electrician, by calling 410-799-5791 or 301-384-8880. Or, you can fill out the contact form on our website.

Are you looking for a quality electrician in Maryland, Washington DC, Southern Pennsylvania, or Northern Virginia? Take a look at TriStar Electric’s online reviews and ratings on Angie’s List, Yelp, Google, Facebook, and Better Business Bureau of Greater Maryland. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and YouTube!

This entry was posted on Thursday, March 31st, 2022 at 12:44 pm. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Contact Us Today