You depend on the electrical outlets in your home on a daily basis. All your devices need to be charged, appliances need to remain powered on, and many other things you use need electricity in order to function. So what do you do when an outlet isn’t functioning the way it is supposed to? Well, sometimes a “dead” outlet has a simple fix that you can safely perform on your own. If none of the easy fixes work for your outlet, call the professionals at TriStar Electric to help you diagnose and fix the problem!
Before we get to fixing the problem, there are a couple of very important safety tips that you should keep in mind:
- Don’t overload outlets. If you have to use a power strip, do NOT put more than one in a single outlet. Also, remember that a power strip is only a temporary solution. Eventually, those items will need to be plugged directly into an outlet to prevent other problems.
- Nothing other than an electrical plug or an approved “baby-proofing” device should go into your outlets.
- Ensure all outlets are properly covered by plates, with all wiring tucked securely inside.
To test your outlet, you can purchase an outlet tester device at your local hardware store. If you don’t wish to purchase the device, that’s totally fine! There are many other ways to troubleshoot a non-functioning outlet.
- First, you should make sure the outlet is the problem and not the device you’re trying to use. Simply try plugging it into another outlet. If it works in the new location, you’ll know that the outlet is indeed the problem.
- Test other outlets and lights throughout your home. An easy way to do this is to take a nightlight with you and just plug it into all of the outlets. Note the location of any other lights or outlets that aren’t working.
- Switch the breakers for the broken outlets to the off position and wait about ten seconds, then switch them back on. Repeat the night light test. If it still doesn’t work, there may be a wiring problem or the outlet may need to be replaced. Call TriStar Electric to schedule a time for one of our expert technicians to fix the problem!
For ALL of Your Residential or Commercial Electrical Needs, Call TriStar Electric!
No matter the job, big or small, the professionals at TriStar Electric will be happy to discuss your project and answer any questions or concerns you may have. We offer free in-home consultations, plus an after-hours and emergency phone line for advice or service!
If you have any questions about our electrical repairs or upgrades, please contact TriStar Electric, Maryland’s premier residential and commercial electrician, by calling 410-799-5791 or 301-384-8880. Or, you can fill out the contact form on our website.
Are you looking for a quality electrician in Maryland, Washington DC, Southern Pennsylvania, or Northern Virginia? Take a look at TriStar Electric’s online reviews and ratings on Angie’s List, Yelp, Google, Facebook, Better Business Bureau of Greater Maryland, and Better Business Bureau Greater Mid-Atlantic. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and YouTube!