National dog day is Sunday, August 26, 2018! We can’t think of a better way to celebrate than with some tips to help our valued customers make sure their pets stay safe from common electrical hazards. Your pets are part of your family, so naturally, you want to make sure they are safe and healthy! Here are some of our favorite pet safety tips!
(Electrical) Safety First!
- Hide wires and cords out of sight. You’ve heard the saying “out of sight, out of mind”, well, it definitely applies to electrical safety! Pets, especially young pets, have a tendency to chew things. What’s more fun to chew on than electrical cords, right? Keep appliance cords hidden behind the appliances themselves. Electronic cords can hide behind your entertainment center, just make sure there’s no way your pets can wiggle in there.
- If it’s not necessary, unplug it. Not only will this save energy, but when you leave pets alone in your home the plugged-in devices aren’t a safety risk. Wires can short with very little warning, so if you don’t need to leave something plugged in, just unplug it!
- When something is plugged in, make sure it’s all the way in the socket.
- Pet-proof any exposed cords with a bitter (and pet-safe!) substance to discourage chewing.
- If you’re using a space heater, turn it off when you leave the room. They can get very hot and burn curious little noses and paws!
- Have your wiring inspected regularly by a licensed electrician and remedy all issues immediately.
For ALL of Your Residential or Commercial Electrical Needs, Call TriStar Electric!
No matter the job, big or small, the professionals at TriStar Electric will be happy to discuss your project and answer any questions or concerns you may have. We offer free in-home consultations, plus an after-hours and emergency phone line for advice or service!
If you have any questions about our electrical repairs or upgrades, please contact TriStar Electric, Maryland’s premier residential and commercial electrician, by calling 410-799-5791 or 301-384-8880. Or, you can fill out the contact form on our website.
Are you looking for a quality electrician in Maryland, Washington DC, Southern Pennsylvania, or Northern Virginia? Take a look at TriStar Electric’s online reviews and ratings on Angie’s List, Yelp, Google, Facebook, Better Business Bureau Greater Maryland, and Better Business Bureau Greater Mid-Atlantic. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and YouTube!