It’s easy to take the convenience of electricity in your home for granted, but your home is not invincible. What happens if your electrical wiring goes bad? If you have an older home, you may be at a higher risk for poor electrical wiring. Fortunately, there are signs that can point to faulty wiring, and the expert electricians of TriStar Electric can help you safely upgrade your home. If you think your home may need an electrical wiring upgrade, read on to learn more about the telltale signs of trouble and what faulty wiring can do to your home.7-
What Is Faulty Electrical Wiring?
Faulty wiring means damage to the wires or incorrect voltage running through them. Poor wiring can result from an electrician cutting corners, wires that have deteriorated with age, or wires damaged by rodents. No matter how it happens, it’s essential to keep an eye out for bad electrical wiring.
The 5 Signs of Bad Home Wiring
The following five signs indicate that your home may need an electrical wiring upgrade:
- Frequently tripping circuit breakers: If breakers are frequently tripping, the first step is to reduce the number of devices on that circuit. Next, replace the circuit breaker. If neither of those actions resolves the issue, your wiring should be inspected to avoid a fire hazard.
- Flickering lights: If your lights are flickering, the electrical current may not be flowing properly. Pay attention to lights that dim when you plug-in appliances and light switches that buzz when turned on.
- Hot electrical outlets: Faulty writing sends too much electricity to outlets, so look for any hot or scorched electrical outlets. These can indicate an energy leak is heating the wires and outlet, which is a significant safety risk.
- Frayed or chewed wiring: When protective plastic coverings are broken, the wires inside are exposed, and the electrical circuit is broken. This allows electricity to arc, which can cause shocks and fire.
- Burning or smoky smell: If you smell burning, the wiring has already caused some fire damage. Unplug everything from the outlet and call an electrician to inspect your wiring immediately.
The Consequences of Faulty Electrical Wiring
When electricity fails to flow correctly, wires are more likely to release more electricity than necessary. This leakage increases your electricity usage and leads to higher electricity bills each month. Additionally, faulty wiring can cause electrical surges and start fires in electrical outlets, which can quickly spread and damage people or items in your household. To avoid these risks, it may be time for an electrical wiring upgrade.
For ALL of Your Residential or Commercial Electrical Needs, Call TriStar Electric!
No matter the job, big or small, the professionals at TriStar Electric will be happy to discuss your project and answer any questions or concerns you may have. We offer free in-home consultations, plus an after-hours and emergency phone line for advice or service!
If you have any questions about our electrical repairs or upgrades, please contact TriStar Electric, Maryland’s premier residential and commercial electrician, by calling 410-799-5791 or 301-384-8880. Or, you can fill out the contact form on our website.
Are you looking for a quality electrician in Maryland, Washington DC, Southern Pennsylvania, or Northern Virginia? Take a look at TriStar Electric’s online reviews and ratings on Angie’s List, Yelp, Google, Facebook, Better Business Bureau of Greater Maryland, and Better Business Bureau Greater Mid-Atlantic. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and YouTube!