There are many times when electricity can pose a risk, and you have to take extra safety precautions. One of these times is when you come across a downed power line. When this happens, it is best to be prepared and know what to do and what not to do. For your safety, remember these tips from your Maryland electrician at TriStar Electric.
Downed Power Lines Out and About
If you encounter a downed power line while walking around your neighborhood or somewhere out in public, your first priority is to get away from the power line. Downed lines are a source of strong, highly-volatile power and can cause severe injuries or death. To stay safe:
- Don’t touch the line yourself or with anything.
- After you move away from the power line, call 911 first, then the utility company.
- Remain about 30 feet away and stay close to ensure others are aware of the danger.
Downed Power Lines On Your Car
If a downed power line contacts your vehicle while you’re inside of it, then you must take a few more particular precautions:
- Remain inside your car. This is because the ground around your vehicle may be dangerously charged from the power line.
- Contact 911 and then the utility company. If you don’t have a phone, honk your horn and call out for help but let others know not to come too close.
- Stay in your car until you are told by an electrical authority that it is safe to leave.
When a Downed Power Line Damages Your Home Electrical
If the downed power line damages the electrical in your home, follow the usual precautions of removing yourself from any immediate danger. Then, notify electricians in your area so they can repair your home’s electrical and restore safety. Your power will likely be shut off and stay that way until an electrician can determine that the danger has passed.
For ALL of Your Residential or Commercial Electrical Needs, Call TriStar Electric!
No matter the job, big or small, the professionals at TriStar Electric will be happy to discuss your project and answer any questions or concerns you may have. We offer free in-home consultations, plus an after-hours and emergency phone line for advice or service!
If you have any questions about our electrical repairs or upgrades, please contact TriStar Electric, Maryland’s premier residential and commercial electrician, by calling 410-799-5791 or 301-384-8880. Or, you can fill out the contact form on our website.
Are you looking for a quality electrician in Maryland, Washington DC, Southern Pennsylvania, or Northern Virginia? Take a look at TriStar Electric’s online reviews and ratings on Angie’s List, Yelp, Google, Facebook, Better Business Bureau of Greater Maryland, and Better Business Bureau Greater Mid-Atlantic. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and YouTube!