As we move into spring and expect more rain and wet weather, homeowners must understand what to do when encountering water-damaged wires and cables. These wires can pose a variety of risks and can be identified by specific signs. Read on to learn how you can spot water-damaged wires and cables on your property and what you can do to remove these dangerous wires.
The Dangers of Water-Damaged Wires and Cables
It can take only a split-second to make a wrong move with electrical wiring and suffer severe consequences. When left alone, water-damaged wiring can:
- Pose a risk of fire. Any damaged wiring poses a risk of a property fire. Damaged wires may be exposed or make contacts that they aren’t designed for or not intended to make, which can quickly become dangerous.
- Risk electrical shock. Electrical shock can come when you handle damaged wiring or fail to notice electrified tools, equipment, or standing water. You could get a bad shock and even suffer serious injuries.
- Cause permanent damage to home appliances or other wiring. Anything that alters how your circuitry is made up can cause power surges, arcing, and a number of other malfunctions that can fry your appliances in a moment.
How You Can Identify Water-Damaged Wiring
There are primarily two ways in which you can identify water-damaged wires and cables.
- Submerged wires and equipment. Any cables that have come into contact with standing water should be replaced by a professional, as a general safety rule.
- Buzzing wires or pools of water. After a heavy rain period, you may hear a hum or light buzzing sound coming from wires or appliances. If you hear buzzing, do not attempt to handle the wire or appliances in any way. The buzzing sound means it is holding a rogue charge, which can shoot into you if you get too close. If a buzzing wire is in a pool of water, avoid the water. That water can carry a charge and be as dangerous as the wire itself.
The only time you may be able to use heavy-duty work gloves and move the wires yourself is if submerged wires have since dried out and been totally shut off. However, this must only be done if leaving the wire poses an immediate risk. Otherwise, contact a professional electrician who has the knowledge and equipment to avoid dangerous electrical risks.
For ALL of Your Residential or Commercial Electrical Needs, Call TriStar Electric!
No matter the job, big or small, the professionals at TriStar Electric will be happy to discuss your project and answer any questions or concerns you may have. We offer free in-home consultations, plus an after-hours and emergency phone line for advice or service!
If you have any questions about our electrical repairs or upgrades, please contact TriStar Electric, Maryland’s premier residential and commercial electrician, by calling 410-799-5791 or 301-384-8880. Or, you can fill out the contact form on our website.
Are you looking for a quality electrician in Maryland, Washington DC, Southern Pennsylvania, or Northern Virginia? Take a look at TriStar Electric’s online reviews and ratings on Angie’s List, Yelp, Google, Facebook, Better Business Bureau of Greater Maryland, and Better Business Bureau Greater Mid-Atlantic. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and YouTube!