The holiday season is here again! This is a time of family and friends coming together to share in all of the hope and joy that the season brings. Unfortunately, the holiday season can also bring some pretty big electrical safety risks. Decorate responsibly this holiday season with these tips!
Deck the Halls
- Make sure whatever you are using to hang your decorations is safe and secure.
- Don’t put garlands or any other decorations near heating vents or electrical outlets.
- As much as you love your holiday decorations, they were not designed for year-round use. Make sure you take them down in a timely fashion once the holidays are over.
- You should look at the manufacturer’s official instructions, but in most cases, it is unsafe to attach more than 3 strings of lights together.
- If there is a light touching anything other than the light string, remove the object or the light. Those lights may be tiny, but they are still a fire hazard.
- DO NOT use staples to hang up your lights. This can damage the cords, and damaged electrical cords are a major fire
Trim the Tree
In most holiday homes, the tree is the largest, most important decoration. If you choose to go with a live tree, as many families do, try to stay away from the older, drier trees. If anything happens, the dried tree will burn much faster. Choose a tree with green needles that are firmly attached. The bottom of the trunk, where it has been cut, should be somewhat sticky to the touch. Be sure to make sure your tree gets plenty of water, which will keep it looking nice and keep it as healthy as possible. You can also eliminate a lot of holiday decorating risks by choosing an artificial tree.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM TRISTAR ELECTRIC!
No matter the job, big or small, the professionals at TriStar Electric will be happy to discuss your project and answer any questions or concerns you may have. We offer free in-home consultations, plus an after-hours and emergency phone line for advice or service!
If you have any questions about our electrical repairs or upgrades, please contact TriStar Electric, Maryland’s premier residential and commercial electrician, by calling 410-799-5791 or 301-384-8880. Or, you can fill out the contact form on our website.